Posted on Friday, October 16, 2020 11:55 AM
This year’s Ontario Crime Prevention Week will take place across our province from November 1 to 7. The theme for the week will be “Serving Ontario, Protecting Communities” and it reflects our shared commitment as law enforcement professionals to serve all Ontarians and protect all communities equitably and effectively.
Police services are encouraged to reach out to their communities and use the week to provide information on how to work collaboratively for safer communities. The OACP and the...
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2020 11:46 AM
The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police’s (OACP) Board of Directors held an official (and virtual) Board meeting on Tuesday, October 13, 2020. Members can check out the meeting agenda and supporting documents on our website under the Member section of the new website.
Highlights of the meeting include:
- A presentation on implicit bias testing by TNT Justice Consultants as part of our on-going efforts to meet the needs of Ontario police services on constable recruitment;
- A presentation on incident...
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2020 11:24 AM
The OACP Board of Directors was pleased to welcome Inspector General Devon Clunis to its Board of Directors meeting on Tuesday, October 13, 2020. The former Chief of the Winnipeg Police Service discussed his new role and his goal of working with Ontario’s police leaders to move policing in our province forward.
Inspector General Clunis was joined by Deputy Solicitor General Mario Di Tommaso and engaged the Board in a positive discussion on some of the issues currently impacting policing in Ontario....
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2020 11:12 AM
- On October 1, 2020, the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) began collecting personal information from complainants and subject officers under the Anti-Racism Act, 2017. This is being done as part of the effort to track and eliminate systemic racism in the public sector and to promote racial equity. The SIU has shared it’s policy on data collection to the OACP. Our Professional Standards/SIU and Police Legal Advisors Committee has provided commentary for the Board of Directors, which will...
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2020 10:56 AM
- Ontario’s police community is mourning the tragic passing of OPP Provincial Constable Jennifer Landry on October 14. PC Landry was a member of the Temiskaming Shores Detachment. For more details, click here.
- The OACP’s Ontario Media Relations Officers Network (OMRON) is hosting a Media Relations Primer webinar on Tuesday, October 20, 2020. The webinar is available for police service members and features sessions over 2.5 hours on media relations basics and effective writing for media relations.